herefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.
– Romans 15:7
Established as a parish in 1749, Christ Church Greenwich has a rich and long history. Our diocese, The Episcopal Church in Connecticut, is the oldest organized diocese in The Episcopal Church and currently under the leadership of The Right Reverend Ian T. Douglas.
Anglican worship has been a vital part of Greenwich since 1705, when the first Episcopal service took place in a private home. This was just 40 years after the 1665 incorporation of the township of Greenwich. In 1749, when the Horseneck Chapel on the brow of Put’s Hill was completed, the congregation of Christ Church began worshipping there. While this first chapel was destroyed by the great hurricane of 1821, it was later rebuilt in 1834 across the Post Road on its current site. It was from this point that campus expansion began to take place to accommodate the growing congregation. The addition of a parsonage and later a larger church followed in 1857. This growth led to the eventual erection of the 1910 building which serves as Christ Church Greenwich today.