The parish of Christ Church Greenwich occupies an historic ten-acre campus in the heart of Greenwich, Connecticut. This is the third church in this location. A church was first consecrated on this site in 1749, which upset the well-established Congregational church members in the community.
The Christ Church Greenwich facilities accommodate over 5,500 meetings a year for many community-oriented purposes, including Alcoholics Anonymous, the Greenwich Suzuki Academy, and a host of other organizations. The beautiful buildings and grounds of our campus serve as wonderful venues for special events, meetings, and concerts. Our central location offers easy access by car and public transportation for the entire community.
The sanctuary and related Parish House and Annex buildings are the heart of the church campus. These buildings, constructed in the American Gothic style, were dedicated in 1910 and extensively renovated in 2015. The magnificent 5,000 square foot sanctuary features spectacular stained glass windows, including two windows from the Tiffany Studios. With a seating capacity for over 600, we offer the largest worship space in Greenwich.
Neighbor to Neighbor, the food pantry for Greenwich and a clothing room serving families throughout the greater Greenwich area, occupies the lower levels of both the Annex and Parish House. Neighbor to Neighbor has operated at Christ Church since 1975. The Church has voted to approve the construction of a new building at the rear of the Tomes-Higgins property by Neighbor to Neighbor, which has raised the necessary funds. The project is expected to break ground this year.
The church expanded its facilities in the baby boom era by adding a modern chapel with seating for 160, a spacious parish hall and kitchen, and an education building that has housed Christ Church Nursery School since 1960. The school is affiliated with Christ Church Greenwich, but is an independent school with an enrollment of 100 children aged two to five in the 2017 academic year. The Parish Hall and Chapel were updated in 2009 and 2011, respectively.
An important element of this section of our campus is Christ Church Books & Gifts. Following an expansion and re-design in 2015, the bookstore is a highlight of our facilities, serving as a welcoming community space and hosting bible studies, readings, book groups, movie screenings, as well as a space for a small meeting or private contemplation while enjoying gourmet coffee! A beautifully curated selection of books and gifts for all ages makes it an appealing destination for the broader community.
The Tomes-Higgins House sits on the western side of the campus. A grand 1861 Beaux Arts mansion designed by renowned architect Calvert Vaux, the Tomes- Higgins House is part of the Putnam Hill Historic District and as such is on the National Register of Historic Places. The house was purchased for use as a rectory by the church in 1963 and used as such by three rectors and their families.
In the mid 1990s, Christ Church built a spacious four-bedroom rectory across the street from the church campus on a lovely triangle of land. Many of the original trees remain and provide a wonderful sense of privacy in the center of town. At the same time, the Tomes-Higgins House was renovated to be a mixed-use building with three clergy/staff apartments on the upper floors and a suite of historic parlor rooms on the ground floor that are used for church functions and rented to outside groups for meetings and events.