About Christ Church Greenwich
Established in 1749, Christ Church Greenwich is one of New England’s oldest and largest Episcopal churches. We are a welcoming community of over 870 households, who are passionately engaged in worship, service, Christian education, and fellowship. We are deeply committed to embracing the spiritual and material needs of others in our community and around the world.
No sleepy suburb, Greenwich, Connecticut, is a town of 60,000, located only 45 minutes from Midtown Manhattan. The parish reflects the demographics of the town, comprising families of all generations and diverse experience. Christ Church’s prominent physical location and community involvement make us highly visible within Greenwich, and our 10-acre campus hosts over 5,500 meetings each year.
The liturgical life of Christ Church is anchored by its world-class, RSCM-certified church music program. A model of the Anglican choral tradition in the United States, with a rich history and global reach, we offer eight active choirs for all ages, concerts, and tours.
Christ Church seeks a Senior Associate Rector who is eager to join the Rev’d Marek Zabriskie, the church’s 10th rector, near the beginning of his rectorate, a period of excitement and forward thinking in the life of the parish and community. The rector seeks a right hand in ministry who will commit to a minimum of five years in the position. We seek an established priest with a minimum of five years’ parish experience. The ideal candidate will be able to work cheerfully and productively with the rector, fellow clergy, church staff, lay leadership, and volunteers.
Responsibilities and Expectations
The Senior Associate Rector is primarily responsible for the following:
● Assisting Rector with management of the day-to-day operations of the parish
● Oversight and administration of – in consultation with the rector – the Christian Formation programs for all ages, working in partnership with children’s minister and youth minister. This will include an all-parish Bible Challenge, starting in Fall 2019, together with the development of small-group Bible studies the following year.
● Spearheading development of family ministries, together with children’s minister and youth minister
● Working closely with the Christ Church Nursery School by engaging parents, staff, and leading weekly chapel service
● Oversight of Pastoral Care ministries
● Attendance at weekly staff meetings and monthly vestry meetings
● Attendance at parish activities and fellowship events
The Senior Associate Rector will share responsibility for the following:
● Regular preaching and presiding. The current Sunday schedule includes three morning Eucharists, according to both Rite I and Rite II, and an evening service, which alternates between sung Compline and Choral Evensong. A Rite I Eucharist with healing is celebrated on Tuesday mornings.
● Lead Bible studies and other formation classes
Skills, Gifts, and Passions for Ministry
The successful candidate will have:
● Knowledge of and passion for ministry
● Grounding in Scripture and the traditions of the Episcopal Church
● A desire to support others in discovering and using their gifts for ministry
● A passion for lifelong Christian formation and a capacity to work with strong lay staff and volunteers who share that passion
● Excellent communication skills, especially in preaching, teaching, writing
● Knowledge of strategies for congregational development and growth
● Excellent organizational and management skills
● Strong work ethic
● Ability to care for own spiritual health and growth
● Facility with desktop and web-based software and social media
Salary and Benefits
● Full-time position
● Competitive salary
● On-campus housing provided in the historic Tomes-Higgins House
● Five weeks (incl. five Sundays) of vacation
● One week of continuing education leave
● Parental and family leave in accordance with Episcopal Church in Connecticut (“ECCT”) policies
● Discretionary fund
● Benefits, including medical, eye, and dental insurance, and retirement plan according to ECCT guidelines
● Three-month sabbatical after 5 years’ service
Applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé, and digital access to (or transcripts of) recent sermons to Jean Tredinnick at firstname.lastname@example.org.